Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Team 212 falls to Team Stackhouse, 76-72 (OT)

By Mark Carroll - Blog Coordinator

The second game of the night featured many familiar faces as Team Stackhouse squared off with Team 212. North Carolina sophomore John Henson leaped to win the tip-off for Team Stackhouse against tobacco road rival and N.C. State center Jordan Vandenberg to begin what proved to be the most competitive game of the evening.

Tar Heel Harrison Barnes was the story of the first quarter, hitting a three pointer, making all four of his free throws and dishing out several assists. North Carolina incoming freshman Reggie Bullock completed the Chapel Hill trio, displaying his ability to score points in the paint.

NCCU stars C.J. Wilkerson and Landon Clement showed no signs of intimidation against the talented Team Stackhouse. Early in the second quarter, Clement dropped in a floater over Henson to bring his team within two points. N.C. State perimeter threat Scott Wood nailed a three ball shortly after to give Team 212 its first lead of the game at 33-32. Team Stackhouse retook the lead after Bullock hit a deep three pointer, but Wilkerson's one-handed slam with three seconds to go electrified the crowd as it left the game knotted at 40-40 to end the half.

Vandenberg scored two of his eight points on a two-handed slam to start the second half. Team 212 held a one-point lead near the end of the third quarter after former NCCU forward Charles Futrell put in a second chance lay up. Henson retook the lead for Team Stackhouse, hitting a free throw to convert a three point play, leaving the score at 60-58 going into the final period of regulation.

Clement scored two of his 15 points from the free throw line late in the fourth quarter to tie the game at 68-68 with just under two minutes to play. Both teams were hurt by missed opportunities, including a travel by Henson and a late turnover by Wood. The score remained tied as Team Stackhouse inbounded the ball with 18.5 seconds to play, but a missed three point attempt by Henson at the buzzer led to overtime.

Barnes and Henson scored a quick five points to gain a quick overtime lead that they would never lose. Wilkerson found Futtrell for an alley-oop jam to bring the game within three, but it was too little, too late. Barnes had a game-high 31 points as the three Tar Heel teammates combined for 73 of their team's 76 points. Team Stackhouse escaped with a thrilling 76-72 overtime victory.

No comments: